Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The glass maze

For my final project I decided to continue my exploration of reflections using the glass bottles. I layed to glass bottles out in concentric circle patterns around and on the tables and chairs. The installation was set up in in the courtyard of the faculty lounge. The installation took place outside to reflect nature. The light from the moon and stars was reflected to through the glass. Viewers were invited to move through and around the bottles. Some people interacted with the installation while others observed. The layers of glass and the external atmoshere reflect the multiple layers of perception, the audience as an observer, the object, and the enviornment.

Light and shadow are dispersed and manipulated. My piece was partially influenced by Ursula Berlot’s, installation pieces that deals with light, reflections, and special relationships. She is a German installation artist. Like my piece, her pieces focus on the reflection and movement of light through various transparent objects. Often times her sculptures are kinetic and intersect shadow within light. Sound is also employed. I was also inspired by an installation piece by Tokujin Yoshioka entitled Crystal Forest. This piece was installed in the Swarovski Flagship store in Ginza Tokyo. Stainless steel pieces hang, “reflecting fragmented views of the street.” My project uses multiples of the same objects to capture, transform, and reflect light. Although her piece is still, the reflections are in constant motion and ever changing with the movement of the environment. This static capture as well as alteration of the movement is one of the subjects that my piece focuses on, along with self-reflection and analysis. Through subtle changes in the environment perspections are altered.

Although the installation was not a complete success or my origional idea, it was an alternative way to explore similar ideas about similar concepts.

No comments: