Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Text Art Installation Project

"Text Idea"On Wednesday Nov 5th, I will install 10 quotes from Friedrich Nietzche's "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" at various points in the College of Santa Fe building system. The installations will be as followed:
2 text sites Benildus
2 text sites Cafeteria
5 text sites Barracks/Visual Arts Building
1text site Administration Building

Examples of quotes:
"When the devil shes his skin, does his name not fall away too? Forthat, too, is a skin. The devil himself is perhaps - skin. Nothing istrue, everything is permitted."

"But I am now retired from service, without a master, and yet notfree, nor cheerful at any time, unless it be in my memories."

"To live as it pleases me, or not to live at all"

"Before my highest mountain I stood and before my longest wondering:therefor I must first descend deeper than I have ever done before:-deeper into pain that I have ever descended, even into its blackestflood! Thus my fate wills it. Well then, I am prepared. Where do thehighest mountains come from? I once asked. Then I learned they comefrom out of the sea."

The quotes will be printed on plain white paper and one word will beapplied to each piece of paper. The word appearing on each paper will be very tiny so that the viewer has to get close to the paper to read the text. I am interested in what these words symbolize and what they don't symbolize. Attempting to explain the aesthetic life to one another can leave us stranded or at a crossroads of thought because far too often we are unable to communicate verbally the very objects and emotions expressed in our reality. In the novel "Thus SpokeZarathustra" an attempt is made to break down the dynamic threads of existence that sprout out of our society as well as non-society, in which a movement towards a knowledge of the individual self, the subjective being is examined at whole length, and it is with Nietzche's words that I would like the campus community to be exposed to. Furthermore, as a school with a Lassalian tradition, that which isbased primarily in the judeo-christian paradigm, I am interested in subverting that expression with these determined thoughts that arevery anti-western civilization. My hope is to create an inner dialog with the individual that comes in contact with the piece. I do not matter in this piece, a collective environment is not synthesized,this is purely a personal experience.

No comments: