Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Chapter One, Three Questions (AmyBeth)

Questions for Chapter One:

1) Do other people have trouble reading the book when you know you need to be looking for questions? I found myself skimming sections I felt I "understood" and art pieces that weren't questionable enough - where had I not felt pressured to come up with questions I would have enjoyed. This isn't something I am looking to have changed but something I want to know how other people deal with (if they indeed are having a difficulty with it)

Onto relevant questions:

2) Polaria by Bruce Gilchrist and Jo Joeelson used scientific technology as its basis. What differs this from an amplified science fair project? There are many amazing scientific feats out there - does the simple fact of taking them to the general public make them art?

3) When the author refers to Louise Sedell's Ascensor Negro as a "magic trick," does it downplay moral and ethical responsibilities? Afterall, psychological experiments would not be allowed to perform this "trick" on the same willing and unknowing participants.

and because my first question isn't very relevant, I agree, how can a city be a non-place? The argument made is abstract at best and seems to define a futuristic city rather then the ones we actually have today.

No comments: